Working for You
The BWI Business Partnership plays an aggressive role in supporting regional transportation improvements benefiting the business potential of the area, as well as the Airport.
With growing federal and military assets, a retail core and major tourist attraction in Arundel Mills, and a growing presence of defense-related businesses, our efforts to promote our area have broadened in scope. We constantly evaluate the business and transportation needs of those assets, and respond accordingly.
With the influx of jobs to the region under the 2005 BRAC recommendations, involvement in related planning and coordination is a major Partnership effort. We take a leadership role in key regional groups such as the Fort Meade Alliance, which supports the development of Fort George G. Meade.
Within the last few years:
- The Partnership took a leadership role in advocating the Intercounty Connector, testifying in favor of the project, and bringing information on the vital need for the project to our members.
- The Partnership advocated for improved connectivity between Washington and Baltimore, resulting in a state study of extending the Green line of the Washington Metro system from Greenbelt to BWI.
- Recent highway projects we have endorsed have included the construction of MD Route 100 and improvements to MD Route 32 to link our region and employment centers.
- Currently, improvements to the Baltimore/Washington Parkway are major Partnership initiatives. Upgrading roadways around Ft. Meade to meet the needs of workers coming to Ft. Meade under the 2005 BRAC realignment is also a priority.
- The Partnership is involved in planning processes, working with various transportation entities and elected officials at local, state and federal levels. This coordinated approach helps to ensure improvement to the transportation infrastructure in the region.
- We also represent the area’s business interests in a variety of advisory groups and economic forums.
- We join with other organizations on critical transportation issues to ensure that the needs of our area are met. Through those partnerships, our efforts are magnified.
We are involved in, and partner with several organizations as we further our mission on behalf of our membership. Click here for a list of those organizations.